A Little Chatter

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Reunion

I am a weird one. I admit that I loved high school. A lot of people I talk to hated high school because of how they were treated or the things they went through. I can understand. For me, high school was great because I had some really fun times with some fun friends. So, I was looking forward to the big 10 year reunion which was this past Saturday.

"Gee, Billy, I can't wait 'til I get to hike school!"
"Don't say that! Don't you ever say that! Stay here! Stay as long as you can!"

Mistake #1 - Having the reunion at the Elks Lodge.
Mistake #2 - Having party people plan it.

I admit that I knew that people from my class were going to drink at the reunion. I was just a little upset that all they did was hang out at the bar. The bar is shoved off in a small room. The room was smoke filled and crowded and the reception hall was wide open. Yet, for some reason people stayed packed into the back room. All the reunion reminded me of was a wedding reception. That part was bad.

Yet, there was a silver lining. I did get to see some people I had not seen in a while. I did get to catch up with some friends. I did truly find out that people don't really change. Their looks do, but their personalities don't. I made a fool of myself a couple times because I couldn't remember some folks, but oh well.

I didn't have anything to drink but I did almost puke. That occurred when a few party crashers showed up. They really enjoyed the DJ and the music that was playing. They were tearing up the dance floor. I say tearing up because I am pretty sure when two large women who have had too much to drink dance in the same vicinity there will be some damaged incurred. As we sat at our table, we couldn't help but notice the dirty dancing on the floor. When you catch a glimpse of an older, out of shape woman swirling around a pole, you can't help but wanna toss your cookies. I have nothing against older, out of shape women. I do detest them performing lude acts in public.

I did get to preach at my home church on Sunday. Or at least where my dad preaches now. It is somewhat my home church. I enjoyed that immensely. To be able to open up a hymn book and sing while my mom tickled the ivory is always a treasured time. I cringed a little cause the piano was out of tune, but hey it usually is at my home church. I thought back to times of listening to my dad preach as he lead Sunday school and led the service. Was thrilled to sing Happy Anniversary to one of my high school classmates and neighbor growing up. She married a good friend of mine that I played baseball with. I finally got to see their two kids. That was a thrill! Attendance was something like 25-30. That's my home church and I love it.

My Sunday school teachers for 7th and 8th grade were both there, Genevieve and Georgia. They are two sweet older ladies who taught me a lot. I am amazed that they are still plugging along. They really are my grandmas since I have lost one and the other one is mentally not all there. I closed up my sermon and couldn't help but think about how far I had come. Life does come full circle some times. "Not that I have already obtained all this but I press on..."

I thank God for my roots. You may have never known your parents or never been loved by them and for that I feel deep remorse. For me, I have always known the love of my family. I am a rarity these days as my family is fully functional. I have 6 people who I grew up with and helped to fashion me into who I am. I only hope that I can provide that same family for my coming child and to my wife.

Thanks Lord for the chance to "go home" once again.

One other bonus from the reunion was the food. We had chicked wings galore. Too much to eat actually. So, I brought home 3 massive trays of chicken wings for our youth event this Sunday. We are talking $100 worth of wings. I was in heaven as I carried them to my Jeep.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger ret said…

    Thanks for that post. I made some helpful mental notes for the upcoming wedding and reception: keep the traffic moving around the bar area [the hall is non-smoking] and no pole dancing. I'm so glad you made the distinction between old fat gals and lude movements. I was ready to blog about you :)

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger deby said…

    You will do an awesome job for your future family.

    I found that at my 20 (didn't go to the 25) reunion is that there are fewer people at the bar, some people do finally grow up and perhaps at one of the future ones I'll get to see the pole dance.

    Holy cow! The situation not the dancer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home