A Little Chatter

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Being a Daddy

I think most of you who read here know that my wife is expecting. I do not really know what to expect. I have a lot of dreams. I saw a commercial today with a list called "Things to do before the kids grow up." I thought that may be a pretty cool list to make. So, I figured I should give it a shot by listing 25 things I want to do with my kid before he/she grows up. My kid has 6 more months in the womb, so I cannot officially begin these things sometime in November or thereafter. In no certain order of priority:

1. Play catch - (I have to admit, I believe if I have a son, he will be a major league pitcher, so there is much more than playing catch that I hope happens.)
2. Wrestle in the living room floor
3. Tickle them until that can't take it anymore
4. Star Gaze
5. Catch lightning bugs
6. Go fishing in the dark
7. Wade in a river
8. Play Basketball (and lift them up so they can dunk)
9. Bake some cookies (and eat them too)
10. Have an ice cream cone together in the dead heat of summer and watch them try to eat it before it melts
11. Ride a tractor
12. Go floating down a river
13. Go camping
14. Take him/her to their first St. Louis Cardinal's game
15. Enjoy a Krispy Kreme doughnut
16. Finger paint
17. Spend the morning watching cartoons
18. Spend a rainy day cuddled up together watching movies
19. Take a nap on a hammock
20. Go Four-Wheeling
21. Teach them how to drive a stick shift
22. Build a treehouse
23. Take a walk together on my grandpa's farm
24. Hunt
25. Fly a kite

As you can tell I am excited about all the things I get to do with my kid. It is going to be such a journey. I also get really excited about who they will be. It is fascinating to think about the personality that will develop within them. Pray with me now that they do not get mine nor my wife's stubbornness :) God has so much in store for this child. I certainly know I do not deserve this great gift. That little rapid heartbeat is so much more than I can handle. I am glad he does not strand me alone in this.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger ret said…

    Hey Matt! I took a chance that if you had been on my blog last night you might have been on yours :) I haven't checked for a while, since you don't write very often,lol. I stopped looking at Alyssa's and if Brian doesn't get on it soon, he's next.

    Anyway, I enjoyed the park post and this one. And thought your line about reading the book before you got done writing was really funny.

    I know how anxious you have been to be a daddy. I'm really happy for you and Nikki. God's gonna bless your socks off, count on it!!

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good thoughts my friend. The only thing I would add is a healthy distrust of Cubs fans!

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Erin said…

    Congrats on the baby Wilson! I am really happy for you guys!

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    Ret- I believe I really do have ADHD. Wait.. what were we talking about?

    Gil- I am hoping the healthy distrust of anything Cubs is genetic. BTW, how did you get the freaking links added to your blog? Show me the way.

    E- Thanks for checking in on me. I read some of your blog the other day but got interrupted. I will check back in sometime. I have it bookmarked.

     
  • At 12:52 AM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said…

    I hope you get to do all these wonderful things with your little guy, uh I mean child. It sounds like lots of fun growing up in your house.

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    Valerie,
    Thanks for reading and responding. I guess I need to include some other things like playing with dolls :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home