A Little Chatter

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

This Is Me

I had a gut feeling that CIY was going to be special. Not much of a risk to say that it would be. But, I had a hunch it would be super special. Once again, God exceeded my expecatations.

I really do not know where to start with this fantastic week. So, I will try to go day by day.

Monday- Leave at 8:00 AM- Everyone got here at a decent time. We set off for a grand adventure. I really enjoyed seeing the teens faces when I pulled a surprise on them. As tradition has it, Seniors load up on the buses first, then on down the line. The whole idea is for them to get the seats they want. Well, anytime I know of a tradition that is silly, I like to shake things up. So, I let me Seniors load first (okay... I am not totally wanting a riot), then I announced Freshman next. You should have seen their faces. They couldn't believe it. "But we always load this way." If you know me, never say we always do something a certain way. You are just inviting me to change your world. I figure that if I can find small ways to shake up their comfort zones that is a good lesson.

So, I get on the bus and get to sit next to a couple kids that I love and have not gotten to talk to in a while. It was a nice journey down. The Schnucks has some nice Chinese food now, so lunch was good too. We got moved in without many surprises. Why are roommates such a big deal to girls? My guys went up to the 14th floor. Hey, it's closer to heaven, so no complaints here.

It was a typical good start to CIY. They introduced the theme "This Is Me". "I am Love" was the theme for the evening and Sigars got us off on the right foot. A pretty big T-storm blew up while we were in the Arena. It was good to be inside.

Tuesday - "I am Grace"
I was surprised by the number of downed tree limbs from the storm the night before. I didn't realize how sever the t-storms were. The day was a good first day. Actually, it was probably one of the best first full days I can remember. Aaron Pelsue band rocks as I figured they would and Mark Moore was particularly "on" for ABF. I think I learned more in that one session from him than I ever have. We were part of the biggest CIY week's ever at 2400 people. I was worried the size was gonna be a downer, but we actually made it around campus pretty good.

That morning we prayed for a kid in our group. That night, he came forward. Jay St. Clair is such the perfect guy to talk about grace. It was all very moving. Sometimes it takes a little bit for the walls to come down in worship. However, this night was a grand opening. The presence of God was sheerly awesome.

Each night we had an encounter with Christ at Celebration. This night, we took on the role of Peter. The recorded voice played the role of Jesus. We were guided to turn our backs on him by facing the back of the room, then turning around after we heard the rooster crow. It was so powerful.

Wednesday - "I am Here"
Another grand day. Spent some time watching the kids swim and playing some basketball. I soon realized how much bigger the regulation size basketball courts are compared to our WH. Geesh I am old! Bart Stone did a great job speaking. Although, he preached two sermons but they were both good :) He had a telescope, a pair of binoculars and a microscope on stage. They represented the ways we view God. Either we think he is distant, or spying on us, or inspecting us to see if we are any good. It was a neat object lesson. He had some funny stories. Later that night, I had a girl tell me she was ready to be baptized. I could also visually see God working on the teens. I had a good conversation that night with the guys about accountability. For some reason this was the best year for convos in the dorms than any I remember.

Thursday - "I am the Way"
Neat stage setting for this night with Jesus' face and two huge hands all sketched out on massive canvases. Hard to describe but very sweet. The day's message was more about materialism than anything. Mark Moore threw down again. Man, he kicked my rear. Now, I have to sell all my possessions and give to the poor. Do you realize how much you have? Do you understand the amount you spend on needless stuff? Do you even know how much you are wrapped up in conspicous consumption? Wow.

That night Brewster McCleod filled in for Jon Weece. I must admit that I was bummed that Jon was not going to be there. But Brewster rocked. I had supper with him and I am pretty sure he is the most creative guy I have ever met. He pulled out his wallet to share family photos with Sigars. They were hilarious. He had a picture of a lady with a cyclops. He said, "this is my aunt Cindi, with an "I". Oh, that was a good one. He said he had a picture of Jesus. It was a pic of a fetus. He said it was what Jesus really looked like. Funny funny stuff.

He sold everything he had on that night to the crowd. Even his pants. Raised $250 for a mission in about 5 minutes. Very strong challenge.

Had a visit to the ER. One of my guys was wrestling and somehow punctured a hole in his shin. You could see the bone. Pretty cool. But I was up til 2:00 AM. He is fine. Only had to amputate half the leg.

Friday - "I am Life"
Really great wrap up to the week. Had some more amazing conversations with kids. Everytime I turn around I have a conversation with someone new. Not to mention I had a chance to catch up with my SHCC group. The teens shared their decisions that night after Robin threw down. Shared some stuff from the Barbarian Way. If you have not read it yet you need to do so. McManus is the man.

Overall, it was a truly awesome week. We have like 5 baptisms coming up and we had a couple rededications. There is so much more I can share. But this is long as it is. I am sure I will share more in follow-up soon. For now, I need to make some follow-up calls to some kids.

The biggest thing on my heart right now: Satan is working so hard on our teens. He seems to turn stuff upside down every chance he gets. There are so many situations our teens are in and they need prayers. But ultimately, some awesome warriors are going to come through these times and be bold for God.

I'm out.
I will post about class reunion later.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger ret said…

    I loved this. Awesome. Write more or buy me lunch. Whichever you prefer. Lol. Really glad it went so well...Becca called Sunday night and went a mile a minute. She's coming for dinner tonight to tell us the rest. Love CIY. Miss going a lot. Except for the heat. And the check in process. And the girls whining about roommates. Lol. Actually, I miss some of that too. Thanks for posting...and I know Pam and I were praying all week...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home